HOME | ABOUT US | Speaker | Americans Together | Videos | www.CenterforPluralism.com | Please note that the blog posts include my own articles plus selected articles critical to India's cohesive functioning. My articles are exclusively published at www.TheGhouseDiary.com You can send an email to: MikeGhouseforIndia@gmail.com


Friday, February 16, 2018

South Indian Food - what is good food?

Good food is whatever appeals to your taste buds. Our taste buds are trained and conditioned to enjoy the foods we grew up eating. Whatever it was; American, Stew, Steak & Potatoes, Chinese, Mexican, French, Moroccan, German, Mongolian, Ethiopian, English, Italian, Korean, Japanese, Indian (Indian, Pakistani, Nepali, Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan), Thai or Middle Eastern or any one of the thousands of cuisines, we are drawn to the food we grew up with, essentially Mother’s food. That is the Gold Standard for each one of us.




I grew up with Idli-Sambar, Bisi Belebath, Biryani, Masala Dosa, Khichdi, Lemon Rice, goat curry etc. Of course, as a pluralist in food, I have enjoyed more variety of foods than most people. My friend who is like my older sister suggested us going to Savarana, an Indian Vegetarian Restaurant in Fairfax, Virginia. Their Daal (Lentil) was superb! My best Daals have been at my Mother and Sisters home, then my late wife’s daal, then the Daal at Apna Bazar Restaurant in Carrollton, Texas and now this Daal…. I need to learn to cook my own daal. Their Rasam was disappointing – it is a watery soup made with tamarind…I will wait to go see my sister in India, she makes the best Rasam.

No comments:

Post a Comment