HOME | ABOUT US | Speaker | Americans Together | Videos | www.CenterforPluralism.com | Please note that the blog posts include my own articles plus selected articles critical to India's cohesive functioning. My articles are exclusively published at www.TheGhouseDiary.com You can send an email to: MikeGhouseforIndia@gmail.com


Friday, May 4, 2012

National Prayer Day 2012 - Plano City Council

National day of prayer is an annual event, originally observed in 1775, and the US Congress formalized it in 1952, and revived in 1981.  It is a day, where Americans of different faiths come together and express their gratitude to the creator in their own way. It is a way to learn that God can be thanked in so many different ways.

 Other pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeghouse/sets/72157629964330261/show/   


I have been a part of the interfaith movement since 1993, and I  have been fortunate to develop unique prayers and greetings format for the event.

My usual speech includes all religious traditions in the interfaith gatherings. This time I was asked by the Plano Multi Cultural Association to represent Islam and I did. This is the first time I have represented Islam in a gathering like this, I usually speak on Pluralism and interfaith.  But I do speak on Islam, India, Israel and building cohesive pluralistic societies. 

However, I did my interfaith greetings, which includes explaining the essence of greetings in each traditions and what it means to you and me.  The greetings shared were from Baha’i, Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Jain, Jewish, Muslim, Sikh, Wicca, Native Americans and Zoroastrian traditions.

PLEASE NOTE: 
TWO OF THE SCHEDULED SPEAKERS DID NOT SHOW UP. I was ready to fill in one and did not take the 2nd one, which was Hindu; I thought there was a Hindu in the audience, there was none.  No one prayed the Hindu prayers, and I felt bad, it should never happen on my watch and in my presence. Organizers can call and follow up, but cannot produce the speakers. 

NO MATTER WHAT FAITH YOU BELONG TO, if you cannot make it, please call me in Dallas Fort Worth area, I will fill in for your religion, any religion. I will go to New York or Siberia to represent your faith, if you pay for it.

PRAYERS ARE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING IN EVERY TRADITION, AND THEY ALL MEAN GOODNESS FOR HUMANITY. Almost all faiths are inclusive in their prayers, meaning they wish well for the entire humanity. If you sincerely believe there is only one ultimate creator or causer of life, then it does not matter what name you call him ( her or it) or how and what words you say. 

Don't judge others and other religions by a few you know, go by the majority and resist the  temptations to judge others, you will find your own goodness come to the surface when you start seeing the good in others. All prayers are beautiful.

In the past, I have filled in for Hindu, Zoroastrian, Jewish, Baha’i, Jain, Buddhist, Sikh, Muslim and other traditions.  I have not had a chance to represent Christian tradition yet, as we are always blessed with their presence. 

A few pictures from the event are in this link.  I forgot my camera and my Mrs. Shaheen Salaam, co-Chair of the event took the pictures from her i-phone and shared it. Thanks
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeghouse/sets/72157629964330261/show/

Some of the prayers from the past http://theghousediary.blogspot.com/2010/05/today-is-national-prayer-day-lets-pray.html

SPEAKER FOR NATIONAL PRAYER DAYhttp://theghousediary.blogspot.com/2012/04/speaker-for-national-prayer-day.html


National Prayer Day, Thursday, May 7, 2010


MikeGhouse is committed to building a Cohesive America and offers pluralistic solutions on issues of the day. He is a professional speaker, thinker and a writer onpluralism, politics, civic affairsIslamIndiaIsrael, peace and justice. Mike is a frequent guest on Sean Hannity show on Fox TV, and a commentator on national radio networks, he contributes weekly to the Texas Faith Column at Dallas Morning Newsand regularly at Huffington post, and several other periodicals across the world. The blog www.TheGhousediary.com is updated daily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment