HOME | ABOUT US | Speaker | Americans Together | Videos | www.CenterforPluralism.com | Please note that the blog posts include my own articles plus selected articles critical to India's cohesive functioning. My articles are exclusively published at www.TheGhouseDiary.com You can send an email to: MikeGhouseforIndia@gmail.com


Saturday, March 20, 2010

India in Memphis

On Wednesday, March 17th, I drove 855 Mile straight from Dallas to Louisville with 2 pit stops and one lunch stop.It took me 14 hours on the way to Louisville, and 15+ on the way back as I spent some time at the Cotton Museum in Memphis.

I had always wanted to see how the cotton balls are converted into yarn, and to my delight it was a worthwhile trip. I could not contain myself when I saw India mentioned in the history of cotton, I took two pictures, both of them are here in the link. The Museum offers ipods that you hook up and walk around 2 blocks and hear the story... the biggest navy battle took place in Memphis - between the confederates and the Union Army it was a bloody naval battle. One of the ships was burnt near by where some 2700 sailors died, the history says, apparently more than Titanic. It was a good story and I love Memphis.

Wanted to see Graceland and pay homage to Elvis, then I decided I had to do that with Yasmeen.

I was going to do some thinking and planning for the year, as I love the drive time, then heck, all I did was listen to 3 CD's and played a few songs over and over again...

I could not resist visiting the Library in Louisville and loved the statute of Ben Franklin there, one of the historical figures I have come to admire by reading his quotes, have his biography that I need to read....

Most of my life in India, I spent time in Libraries including Bangalore University Library and the Public Library in Cubbon park, where I read Vivekananda, Bhagvad Gita, Jiddu Krishnamurthy, Emerson, Tolstoy, Homer, Pond, Arabian Nights and some other classics literature.

In my college days, I had memorized 1000 songs from the 50's and 60's including Saigal and Pankaj Mallick, then of course ... Rafi, Mahendra, Lata, Talat, Mukesh and Kishore, then John Denver, Ronnie Milsap, Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, Ray Charles, Randy Travis, Elvis, Ricky Skaggs, Abba, Muddy Rogers, Now I have just memorized 10 songs in 14 hours!

Driving is Fun
~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment