HOME | ABOUT US | Speaker | Americans Together | Videos | www.CenterforPluralism.com | Please note that the blog posts include my own articles plus selected articles critical to India's cohesive functioning. My articles are exclusively published at www.TheGhouseDiary.com You can send an email to: MikeGhouseforIndia@gmail.com


Sunday, August 2, 2015

President Kalam and Islam - by Najid Hussain

Kalam and Islam | Foundation for Pluralism | The Ghouse Diary.com 

Najid Hussain;

Your article, “Kalam and Islam” is one of the finest articles I have read about religious and social pluralism, and it resonates with me, and a reflection of my own understanding of religion.

This article has changed my opinion about you, although I have always respected your take on many an issues, I had erroneously placed you in limited understanding of Islam category – now your article changes all that. I am so glad you wrote it.


Indeed, I chose to become a Muslim in the late 90's, and Bhagvad Gita is one of the three reasons to lead me there, I was irreligious for the previous 30 years of my life (several videos and write ups are available on the net).

Islam and Quran are not for Muslims alone, they are guidance for whole humanity – God is God of Universe, (Rabbul Aalameen), Prophet Muhammad’s message is message for whole humanity (Rahmatul Aalameen) and we have to become Muklooqul Aalameen (beings that embrace whole humanity)  to complete the equation. I have written extensively on the topic, some day, I will exchange that with you if you have the time. As I find the freedom in you to see the philosophical dimension of Islam as opposed to remaining entrenched in the ritual aspect of it.

It may be difficult for a few people to swallow that Religion, every religion is a beautiful gift of God to humanity and serve the same purpose – creating societies that function cohesively. God wants his creation to remain coherent.

The only thing that caused me to pause about your article is the use of the word "Only", “it is only Hindu faith that truly understands….” and “it is only Hindu philosophy….”   Five years ago, I was sitting in the Baptist Church in Dallas – Pastor Robert Jeffers claimed, “ Its only Christianity that teaches the purpose and meaning of life”… and I made extensive notes during his sermon that Hinduism, Islam, Baha’I, Budhism, Judaism, Sikhism and all other faiths that teach the purpose and meaning of life. (The whole story is at www.QuraanConference.com).

As beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, faith is in the heart of the believer. No mother is inferior to her offspring, and no faith is inferior to its believer. If we can learn to respect the otherness of others and accept the God given uniqueness of each one of us, then conflicts fade and solutions emerge.

Najid, I am glad you wrote this piece and God willing, I will share this on my Pluralism, Islam and other sites. It is a good article. Congratulations.

Article is at Outlook Magazine - http://www.outlookindia.com/article/kalam-and-islam/216493

 Mike is a speaker, thinker, writer, pluralist,  TV-Radio commentator and a human rights activist committed to building cohesive societies and offers pluralistic solutions on issues of the day. His info in 63 links at MikeGhouse.net and writings at TheGhouseDiary.com 

1 comment: